Location: Washington, DC
The First Five Years Fund (FFYF) advocates for a greater federal investment in quality early childhood education (ECE), and seamlessly and purposefully integrates policy, communications and government relations in all aspects of its work. FFYF is an independent project of the Ounce of Prevention Fund, one of the nation’s most energized, future-focused organizations devoted to early childhood development, whose mission is to improve the life chances for low-income children through programs, training, research and advocacy.
Reporting to FFYF’s Director of Communications, the Communications and Outreach Manager:
Provides high-level, internal and external support to help ensure progress on short-term and long-term communications and outreach priorities and projects. This position will also be responsible for helping create and disseminate written and other content to various audiences, including email newsletters and social media. Responsibilities include:
- Research, compose, edit and distribute key communication materials for multiple and diverse internal and external audiences. This includes blog posts, correspondence, memos, agendas, status reports, documentation notes and meeting minutes, presentation materials, presentation (Power Point), spreadsheets (Excel) and other related documents, resources and communications, especially regarding FFYF’s federal legislative efforts and communication priorities.
- Collect and organize up-to-date data and research, legislative resources and other tools to support FFYF’s work.
- Ensure that FFYF’s organizational and campaign websites are up-to-date, reflect current organizational priorities, and highlight recent developments and new tools.
- Lead outreach efforts directed toward various partner audiences, including regular e-blasts and conference calls.
- Help oversee FFYF’s social media strategy and its execution across Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms
- Perform other duties, including special projects, as assigned within the scope of this job description.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 to 5 years of experience with communications or similar industries. (Capitol Hill experience helpful but not required)
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with computer applications (Microsoft products, as well as Basecamp) and ability to learn and master other computer technology/software programs as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and sustain relationships with diverse audiences
- Demonstrated organizational skills, in particular ability to organize complex tasks.
- Ability to process and protect confidential information in a professional manner.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing needs and priorities.
Last but not least, we offer some great perks:
- Tuition reimbursement, competitive salary and benefit packages, employer contribution towards your 401k, and much more.
We are recruiting individuals who want to join us in this mission and share a commitment to our core values of appreciation & respect, empowerment, diversity, excellence, learning and communication.
Working for the First Five Years Fund (FFYF), you will work at the federal level to expand support for all early learning and care opportunities for children from birth through age five that are high-quality and focused first on serving those children most-at-risk.
FFYF/The Ounce is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to our core values by creating an inclusive environment for all staff.